Here’s what’s coming up in today’s newsletter:
- A challenge to interns for the 2020 Packaging Inspiration Challenge
- Adobe 99U’s 2020 conference recap
- Some quarantine activities are resulting in increased quality of life
- What our team’s been listening to lately
Table of Contents
INNOVATION & DESIGN
Packaging Inspiration Challenge
Adobe’s 2020 99u Conference
For the first time, Adobe hosted its annual 99U Conference virtually, offering FREE access for creative professionals around the world. The theme for the 2020 conference was “The Creative Self”, and all of the keynotes, master classes, and workshops are available to stream on Behance! Highlights included:
- Anne Helen Petersen’s investigation of burnout and our relationship to work in Rethinking Productivity Culture
- A.J. Jacobs on how expression appreciation transforms your mind in Practicing Radical Gratitude
- Antionette D. Carroll’s blueprint for genuine inclusivity and equity in Understanding Identity, Power, & Equity in Design Leadership
- John S. Couch’s argument for “me time” in his master class Designing a New Day
- Tina Essmaker’s interactive workbook, The Creative Self, guides users to make space for reflection and self-discovery
Find a complete summary of the conference here, and a replay of the conference livestream here
Perspectives from the Field
Cooking More at Home Is Bringing People Joy
A PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) survey of 1,600 U.S. adults indicates that 69% of those who’ve dedicated more time to cooking during the pandemic believe the shift in behavior has added to their quality of life. Results indicate a continued positive outlook for food and cleaning products due to fundamental changes in consumer behavior and habits. According to PwC’s U.S. CPG lead Samrat Sharma, “As they get satisfaction and a chance to engage with their families and loved ones, through this they will continue to find new ways to indulge in those kinds of behaviors, whether it be cooking or getting involved in yardwork.”
CREATIVITY AT WORK
- Travel+Leisure is here to save summer with this huge, diverse list of activities, updated regularly.
- Check out these creative twists on traditional s’mores!
- What songs have you been playing on repeat? If you love discovering new artists, check out some of these favorites from our team: Boots of Spanish Leather by Mandolin Orange, Live While We’re Young by JohnnySwim, All Your’n by Tyler Childers (all folk/soul/bluegrass genres), and Lo-fi/chillhop artists Bassti, Limes, and Tomppabeats.
– Melissa Fehsenfeld
Design Contours is a series of biweekly updates oriented toward helping you stay current on news and trends that are relevant to design work, consumer insights, and brand news within consumer packaging. Please feel free to share feedback or suggest ideas for content you’d like to see in future editions.